Do you remember Arthur when you were growing up? You know, the guy that was always visiting our grandparents and older people, Arthr-itis? 😉
That was something I remember hearing often at my grandma’s house and I smile thinking back on how I would go looking around the house expecting to find this man named Arthur when she said he was over.
Although we mainly associate arthritis with our elderly family and friends, it can in fact affect children and is quite prevalent in working age people. It is estimated that 300,000 children in the United States have some form of arthritis.
Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), aka juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is the most common type found in children. Arthritis is defined as a long-term condition characterized by stiffness, swelling, and pain in the joints.
At this time researchers are still studying the exact cause of JIA, but believe that it is primarily an autoimmune disease. This means the bodies immune system can’t differentiate between the healthy cells in the body and harmful substances. This causes the immune system to mistakenly attack harmless cells as though they are a virus or bacteria. Common symptoms of JIA include:
- Joint pain
- Reduced range of motion
- Warm and swollen joints
- Redness in the affected area
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Recurrent fevers
Many patients are prescribed anti-inflammatory meds or corticosteroids for arthritis, but may find they do not help to reduce the pain and inflammation and have major side effects such as gastric ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome. 😨
Not to worry, here are 6 natural suggestions to treat the effects of juvenile arthritis and are safe for the kiddos.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture has been shown to be extremely effective for patients with arthritis.
- Proper Diet: A poor diet can rob the body of proper vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are important for energy production. A healthy balance of fresh vegetables, complex carbs, whole grain, as well as, fruits, nuts, seeds and protein are very important for maintaining proper energy levels. Be vigilant about substances that can aggravate the condition. Cut out sugar, saturated fats(pizza, cheese), trans fats ( fries, processed foods), omega 6 fatty acids (oils), refined carbs ( white sugar,white rice), msg, gluten, aspartame, and alcohol.
- Supplements: Taking vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements can help to supplement major deficiencies.
- Topicals: Studies show 89% of patients suffer from some type of morning stiffness. Applying a muscle ointment at night before going to bed will relax the muscles around the joints, decrease inflammation and provide a more restful nights sleep as well.
- Exercise: Exercise and stretching can improve painful, stiff muscles and joints by increasing blood flow to these areas.
- Honey & Cinnamon: Take daily, morning, and night, one cup of hot water with two spoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Taken regularly even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent study at Copenhagen University, out of 200 people taking this treatment, within one week 73 patients were totally pain free, and within a month, most of the patients who could not walk or move about because of arthritis started walking without pain. (Do not give honey to children under 1 year old).
You can also use crystals to help with arthritis symptoms. Here are three of my favorites:
- Black Tourmaline is a remedy for debilitating diseases. It strengthens the immune system, treats dyslexia, joint pain and arthritis, provides pain relief and helps align the spinal column.
- Malachite promotes growth and builds strength, both emotionally and physically. It draws out pain associated with arthritis and joint pain. It aligns DNA and cellular structure, enhancing the immune system.
- Hematite can increase blood flow and circulation and how it can help speed up the healing process and alleviate pain. Magnetic hematite is very good for arthritis and joint pain.
Crystals are great for kids too because they are small and can be kept in a pocket, carried in a bag or even worn as jewelry.