It’s that time of year when family barbeques and outdoor cooking becomes the norm and the kitchen stove gets a much needed break.
Being as its Deck Safety Month, it is the perfect opportunity to get your deck/patio all ready for the fun summer activities ahead.
The deck/patio should be a sanctuary spot and look clean, nice, comfortable and inviting. This is one of those go to places to have your morning coffee or tea, to relax and chill after a rough day, and also to entertain guests.
Use these feng shui principles to bring a more harmonious feel to your deck/patio area.
- Clean it up– First step in Feng Shui is always to declutter. Clutter and disorganization can ruin the positive energy flow of any area, including your porch or deck. Get rid of any dead plants, broken planters, faded cushions and any other trash that may have accumulated.
- Check it out-After you have things all cleaned up the next step is to fix, repair or replace any small things which might go unnoticed during the regular, day to day maintenance of your deck/patio. Make sure to check that metal sections like connectors and bolts have no rust, are in good shape and you also want to keep an eye out for rotten wood. It is important to check regularly for any signs of damage from the elements, especially if you have little ones running around.
- Outdoor Décor-Choose furniture that is comfy and easy to care for as well. Don’t use mismatched furniture in this area and avoid oversized pieces that make the space feel cramped and hinder the free flow of energy. The goal is to create a real outdoor sanctuary for yourself and your guests.
- Decorate with color- Red, yellow and purple, are the colors of good fortune. Green brings freshness and peace while blue represents water which provides life,growth and money. Obviously, decorating in blues and greens is an excellent choice.
- Shape it up– Adorn your deck/patio with big round pots full of lush and healthy plants with smooth round leaves or flowers. Sharp corners anywhere in your home should be kept to a minimum. You don’t want “stabby” plants poking you while you are trying to relax. Bringing in beautiful, round-shaped objects to this space are also wonderful additions.
- Hang it up-Hang a wind chime on your deck/patio which will draw positive energy and add to the harmony of the natural surroundings.When using a chime as a feng shui cure, pay attention to the number of the rods or bells. Having 6 and 8 are the most popular numbers of bells in a wind chime to increase the beneficial energy; while 5 is best used when you want to suppress bad energy.
- Get it flowing-Invigorate the natural flow of (chi) energy with a beautiful water fountain. It provides an enchanting sound, symbolizes your desire for wealth and can also bring some extra cash your way. An aquarium is another option (if you are in a temperate climate) instead of a fountain, as fish are another powerful symbol of wealth.
Use these summer feng shui tips to make sure your outdoor area is a tranquil haven for you and your family not just in the summertime, but all year long.