The kids are back in school and that means cold and flu season is in full bloom.
I remember when my girls were in school, the excitement of the beginning of the school year quickly turned to tissues, tylenol, and cough syrup when the “bug” would hit our home. 😷
I’m seeing lots of parents in the pharmacy now that either had sick kids over the holiday weekend or they’re sick now.
We’ve all heard the saying “Our health is our wealth”, and this is so very true. And why now is the time we need to boost our personal health feng shui before we head into the stress and chaos of the holidays.
Here in the USA, our cold season generally occurs from late August through early April (the typical school year), but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a cold at any time.
The common cold is an extremely contagious viral infection of the upper respiratory system and is one of the biggest culprits for absence from both work and school.
Signs and Symptoms
- Body aches & pains
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
- Chest discomfort
Preventive Feng Shui or plain Common Sense
Wash your hands with soap and warm water. The virus can easily enter your body through your eyes and nasal cavity, so keep your hands away from your eyes and nose when possible.
You can help prevent or reduce your chances of getting a cold or transmitting it to others easily-
- Use hand sanitizers when soap and water aren’t available.
- Avoid being in close quarters to those who are sick, and avoid being around others if you’re sick.
- Cover your nose or mouth when you sneeze or cough.
- Sneeze or cough into your elbow or a tissue instead of your hand.
- Wash your hands after you cough or sneeze.
- Routinely clean countertops and surfaces with natural disinfecting cleaners.
Treatment and Care
Amazingly, there is no cure for the common cold, but we have many OTC medications on the market that can provide relief for symptoms:
- Expectorants and cough suppressants
- Antipyretics/analgesics (for fever and body aches)
- Anesthetic and antiseptic products (for pain/discomfort associated with sore throats)
Homeopathic and Natural Remedies
If you are like me then you try to use homeopathic or alternative remedies to prevent or provide for relief from cold symptoms. Some of my standby’s are:
- Vitamin C supplements
- Green tea
- Chinese herbal medicine
- Vitamin D
Talk to a pharmacist or doctor before taking any herbs or supplements, to avoid potential drug interactions or contraindications.
While recovering from a cold:
- Stay home and get plenty of rest. You can’t be there for others if you aren’t healthy yourself.
- Drink plenty of fluids and stay hydrated.
- Observe for and treat fever.
- Eat right and include lots of foods that are full of immune-system boosters like citrus fruits and foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
De-Clutter for Health
Anytime there is an illness or a blockage we can be certain there’s something in our environment that is manifesting in a physical way. If you or a family member are feeling a bit wonky, like a cold is coming on, take a look around your home and make sure there is no clutter, this means no trash, no heaps of clothes or dirty dishes. Clean up those areas that have been annoyingly piling up, especially in the East sector as this is the area that represents our health and family. 💚
The reader acknowledges that the content provided is for informational purposes only. Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your health care professional on any matter relating to your health and well-being.